The smile is a vital part of facial beauty, and so for us it is important that you can show teeth which are as esthetically attractive as possible and one of the most important esthetic characteristics is their color. Nowadays, we can achieve our ideal color through the simple treatment of Tooth whitening.
It is important to differentiate between two concepts when we talk about cleaning your teeth, the concept of washing or brushing as opposed to whitening. When a tooth is discolored by extrinsic stains (tobacco, foodstuffs, etc.), normally brushing and rinsing will remove the stain and restore the original color. However when a tooth is affected by what are classified as intrinsic discolorations (medicines, changes in the formation of the enamel or dentine, aging, etc.), can only be treated with a whitening procedure, always supposing that the pathology which is causing it is susceptible to this kind of therapeutic procedure.
Dental whitening is one of the most conservative treatments which allow us to give back to the tooth a color in accordance with the acceptable color standards for natural teeth. It involves a series of minimally invasive procedures, which improve the aspect of the teeth without changing their morphology and facilitate the maintenance of good dental and periodontal health.
They are treatments which must be supervised by a dentist because according to the type of discoloration in the patient, the professional will establish a protocol to follow with regard to time, number of sessions, etc. after taking into account the oral and periodontal state of the patient.
Nowadays carbamide peroxide (between 10%-22%) or hydrogen peroxide (between 20%-40%) are used. Dental whitening lasts for approximately 2-3 years on average, further whitening procedures being necessary in order to maintain the color.
In order to establish the ideal therapeutic attitude with respect to the whitening, the causes that produce the discoloration must be identified. Depending on the cause of the discoloration and the previous treatments the tooth has undergone either internal or external whitening is carried out.
DENTAL WHITENING PROTOCOL IN CIRUGÍA FACIAL BENIDORM
Internal whitening is carried out on teeth which have had earlier root canal treatment and the material is placed in the pulp chamber, through de la access cavity made during root canal treatment (endodontics).
- The endodontics previously carried out (periapical pathology, sealing, etc.) are checked.
- Isolation of the gutta-percha (material used to fill the canal) is done by means of a glass ionomer.
- The whitening agent (37.5% hydrogen peroxide) is placed in the pulp chamber.
- The entry to the tooth is sealed using provisional material.
- The patient returns 1 week later to change the whitening agent until the required degree of whitening is achieved.
- This procedure lasts from 3 to 5 weeks, changing the whitening agent in each session.
- Once the whitening process is finished, the tooth is left without whitening agent for 2 weeks.
- After these 2 weeks the esthetic reconstruction of the cavity is carried out.
- The revisions recommended by the dentist will be undertaken.
Before and after
External whitening is a process, carried out on any tooth which has not undergone root canal therapy, in which the whitening material is placed on the surface of the tooth.
- In the 1st visit a diagnosis is made of the type of staining and pathologies or treatments the patient might have (hyper-sensibility, restorations of composites, etc.).
- In the 1st whitening session a thorough cleansing with a prophylactic brush and color matching of the upper incisors, canines and lower incisors will be carried out.
- Isolation using a gingival protector.
- The whitening agent (37.5% hydrogen peroxide) is placed on the surface of the tooth for 8 mins. The whitening agent is then rinsed away with water and a second coating is put in place for another 8 mins. This procedure is repeated during from 3 to 5 additional sessions.
- Once the in clinic whitening is finished, 2 weeks of home based whitening for 2 hours each day will be carried out..
- The dentist will give you the whitening agent, the thermoplastic splints and the guidelines to follow during home based whitening.
- At the end of the treatment, Fluor gel or potassium nitrate will be placed in the home based whitening splints to seal the dentinal tubules, thereby reducing any possible hyper-sensibility.
In Cirugía Facial Benidorm we use “POLA OFFICE+” (37.5% hydrogen peroxide) as whitening in the clinic.
“OPALESCENCE ENDO” (37.5% hydrogen peroxide) as internal whitening.
El “POLA NIGHT” (16% carbamide peroxide 16%) as home based whitening.